Whether you live nearby or a completely different state, there are a variety of reasons why you should select a drug rehab in Palm Beach, FL to start your recovery journey. Sure…our weather and scenery are hard to beat but what really makes Palm Beach a prime location is the sheer number of drug rehab options. But which one should you pick? Check out our tips for selecting a drug rehab in Palm Beach that’s right for you.
Look For A Health Care-Focused Drug Rehab in Palm Beach
Ok, this might seem obvious but you would be surprised how many rehabs put more of an emphasis on their luxury amenities and spa-like services rather than their treatment programs and therapies. We’re not knocking luxury but at the end of the day, addiction treatment is health care and should be treated as such. If the drug rehab doesn’t have the health care services that you need, then there isn’t much difference between it and a resort.
Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Questions
Does the rehab use evidence-based practices (such as medication and cognitive behavioral therapy)? Do they have a professionally credentialed staff? What about any accreditation? A visit and tour of the facility is a great way to ask these questions and see if they’re telling the truth rather than solely relying on their website or flyer. If you can’t do an in-person tour, don’t be shy to ask questions during your consultation. Here is a handy list of questions you can ask a Palm Beach rehabilitation center to help weed out the good from the bad:
- Are you State licensed? If so, for what levels of care?
- Are you accredited? If so, by who? What services have been accredited?
- Are you a member of the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP)?
- How long has the facility been in operation?
- Do you have a medical director on staff? Are they certified by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)?
- What qualifications do your clinicians have? Are group and individual counseling sessions provided by Masters level staff? Do clinicians have specialized training in treating substance use disorder?
- What are the facilities placement criteria?
- Can the facility treat the specific needs of the client? Are they licensed and qualified to do so? Under what conditions will a client be discharged or referred to alternate care?
- What is your procedure for referring to other treatment providers?
- Does the facility treat other medical and mental health conditions? Is it credentialed to do so?
- What evidence-based practices are used?
- How often are drug screens conducted? Does the facility follow ASAM guidelines for drug testing?
- Does the facility provide family counseling? If so, how? Are there additional costs associated?
- What types of support services are provided after treatment? Does the provider have an alumni program? What types of discharge planning are used?
- Is the facility in-network with my insurance? What out of pocket costs will be assessed? How are these costs calculated?
- If seeking a recovery residence (sober living home): What level of oversight is provided in the home?
- What are staff qualifications?
- Are staff on-site and awake 24/7?
- How do housing and clinical components interact?
- Are licensed staff available 24/7?
Now, you don’t have to ask them all of these questions but this is list should help you get an idea of what to look for when considering different drug rehab programs.
Run Away If They Lack Transparency & Ethics
Unfortunately, there are some shady rehab centers in Palm Beach but one way you can detect them is if they lack transparency. Be cautious of any treatment center that has a vague, generic website or the staff is unable or unwilling to answer your questions. Even if the treatment provider is on a recommendation list, it’s not a guarantee of quality. Don’t let yourself get suckered in by Internet-based commercial directories, generic websites, ads offering free treatment placement, websites that offer unsolicited referrals, or unverifiable treatment center rankings.
These referrals are typically based on business relationships rather than the client’s best interest. If the person you talk with won’t provide direct contact information for a facility or claims to represent a network of providers, it’s a red flag. You should also watch out for rehabs that offer free travel, no out-of-pocket cost, help to obtain insurance or some other incentive as it can be a sign of potential insurance fraud and may be considered an illegal inducement.
Bonus Tip: Consider A Gender-Specific Program
A factor that is often overlooked when people search for a drug rehab is if it offers gender-specific addiction treatment. When it comes to addiction, there are some differences between men and women. For example, women often need to address issues like sexual abuse, eating disorders, and unhealthy relationships whereas men typically need to address other types of issues like anger management, father/son relationships, and emotional distance.
Not only do men usually have different underlying problems, but they also tend to enter treatment later in their addiction than women do, which can affect the type of treatment needed. That’s why we’re a male-only facility because gender-specific treatment is more likely to help our male clients achieve sobriety than a mixed-gender facility. Advantages of gender-specific treatment include:
- Statistics show a better success rate for gender-specific programs
- Fewer distractions in treatment (i.e. sexual attractions and relationships) allow for more focus and concentration
- Better communication as some patients will share more openly with members of the same sex
- Male-only or female-only programs allow the drug rehab to concentrate on the unique experiences and issues that affect their gender
- Bonding tends to be stronger among same-sex groups (e.g. male-bonding, brotherhood, etc.)
Having a strong support system when you’re in a treatment program is key to recovery and gender-specific treatment is one of the most effective ways to provide that support. By being a male-only facility, we’re able to provide our clients with a more personalized treatment rather than a one-size-fits-all approach that can be seen at a large, mixed-gender facility.
We’re Here For You (Even If You Go Somewhere Else)
Selecting a drug rehab out of the hundreds of options isn’t the easiest thing in the world but it doesn’t have to overwhelm or stress you out either. Research is key but also trust your gut – don’t be afraid to ask questions or walk away from places that give you a bad feeling. This is your life and you should be discerning with who you trust with it. If you’re not sure where to start, our addiction help center and 24/7 confidential helpline are great places to help you kick off your search.
Rally Point Palm Beach Rehab
1130 Elizabeth Avenue
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401