Substance Abuse Programs
Our substance abuse programs combine four main elements of addiction treatment: individual sessions, group therapy, integration into the 12-step community and medication-assisted treatment (when appropriate). Rally Point has an advantage, due to our location and small size, to be able to offer extremely individualized care that can be tailored specifically to each particular client.
- Individual Sessions: Also referred to as one-on-one’s, individual sessions take place on a weekly basis between the client and his primary therapist. These sessions help the client develop coping strategies and tools to abstain from drug use and maintain abstinence. Individual sessions are regularly scheduled with the frequency being determined by where the client currently is at in his recovery journey. Clients also have access to their therapist at any point if they are struggling more than usual and in need of extra support.
- Group Therapy: There is a common misconception that group therapy is not as important or effective as the individual sessions that a client participates in. However this is not always the case. Oftentimes group therapy can be even more effective due to clients being challenged and supported by their peers who are experiencing similar issues. Group therapy at Rally Point consists of process groups, holistic groups (music/art therapy) and even animal-assisted therapy with Bruno.
- Integration Into The 12-Step Community: One of the advantages of being located in South Florida is having access to a robust recovery community. The so called “recovery capital of the world” provides our clients with many resources that would be unavailable elsewhere. Clients are immersed into the 12-step community by attending daily meetings outside of Rally Point, including a weekly legacy meeting with Rally Point alumni. Clients are also encouraged to get a sponsor while in treatment and are allowed to contact their sponsors daily.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment: While medication-assisted treatment as a whole is a controversial topic with many substance abuse programs, Rally Point is a proponent of one treatment in particular: Vivitrol. In combination with counseling and behavioral therapies Vivitrol can effectively be used to treat alcohol and drug addictions and to prevent opioid overdoses. It is non-addictive and is classified as an “antagonist” or “block” medication since it blocks receptors in the brain from the effects of opioids. Therefore it does not fall into the category of replacing one drug with another.
Addiction Recovery for Life, means promoting healthy lifestyle choices that will help clients maintain lifelong sobriety. It is important to remember that drug and alcohol addiction is a brain disease for which there is no cure. In this regard it is similar to other chronic illnesses such as diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease. Addiction can however be effectively treated, and if clients are willing to put in the work, the symptoms of addiction can be put in remission for good. Our substance abuse programs at Rally Point are built specifically to provide clients with the tools needed to successfully treat their disease on a daily basis.
Day or Night Treatment with Community Housing / Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
The first stop for clients coming to Rally Point is usually in our PHP program. Out of all the substance abuse programs we offer, this is the most intense. Clients take residence in our recovery residence Fortitude House in West Palm Beach, Florida and are transported to our clinical office, Wisdom Hall, on a daily basis. Here they participate in a combination of individual and group therapy for 5-6 hours a day during the week. Clients discuss and formulate a treatment plan with their therapist and are given a blueprint for their individualized drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation plan.
In this level of care clients are not allowed to carry their phones or wallets as we attempt to limit all outside distractions. They are accompanied by trained Behavioral Health Technicians at all times, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. They attend at least one 12-step meeting outside of Rally Point per day and participate in a weekly outing every Saturday. Some popular outings include fishing, movies, escape rooms, miniature golf and bowling. Clients are able to work out at the gym four times a week and can participate in two weekly yoga classes. Grocery shopping occurs once a week and clients are encouraged to cook dinner together as a way to build fellowship with their housemates.
The objective of this program is to support clients through the challenge of transitioning from addiction to sober living. This level of care includes a “phase system” in which clients have to complete certain tasks in order to “phase up” to the next level. Besides learning about their addiction and how to live a sober life, clients are also able to build up self-confidence and work on necessary life-skills which are often overlooked in other substance abuse programs. Overall themes include dealing with withdrawal, deprogramming destructive behavior patterns and building healthy, daily habits that will support their sobriety.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
After successfully finishing the PHP program clients have the option of transitioning into IOP. While less demanding than PHP in terms of time commitment, IOP still includes an extremely structured environment. This substance abuse program is ideal for clients who have to manage “real world” commitments such as family, education or work. It’s not required to live in one of our recovery residences for this level of care, but we do offer two options for those who need it: Victory House and Unity House.
Phones and wallets are returned to clients upon their admission into IOP and they are encouraged to slowly integrate back into society as a healthy and sober man. The tools learned at the PHP level can now be applied to every day life. Daily maintenance, including prayer/meditation, 12-step meetings and calls to the sponsor are critical at this stage in recovery. Clients in IOP still attend individual and group therapy regularly, but are eventually dropped down to three days a week. They are also urged to stay engaged with the PHP clients to offer and receive support.
IOP clients are expected to immerse themselves into the local recovery community and begin to build a support system outside of Rally Point. Daily 12-step meetings are required as well as identifying a home group. When ready, clients can begin working again or going back to school. Clients are introduced to more real-life situations where they can lean on their built-in support network for help and guidance, and ensure that they don’t fall back into bad habits.
Outpatient Program (OP)
The least structured of our substance abuse programs is our Outpatient Program. Many OP clients reside in their own home although they still have the option in living in one of our recovery residences, Victory House or Unity House. Usually in this level of care clients get full time jobs or return to school full time. Treatment plans vary, but usually participation in one or more groups a week as well as an individual session with their therapist is expected.
Building upon their time in PHP and IOP, OP clients establish a solid recovery network within the outside community to lean on for sober support. OP clients are also expected to serve as positive role models to those in our other substance abuse programs and to offer advice and guidance from a peer level.
The focus at this stage is on assisting clients with concerns related to their progress and maintenance of sobriety while providing both community and family support to ensure that they are able to stay on track with a life free from addiction. It takes an average of 66 days to create a habit, so by this time in their recovery OP clients have established enough positive, healthy habits to guide them through their life of sobriety.
What to Expect in our Substance Abuse Programs
Entering a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program can be an intimidating experience. The staff at Rally Point in West Palm Beach understands this and we are here to help in any way possible. Prior to your arrival, we will go over all of the necessary details with you and work directly with your insurance company to ensure that you are getting the proper coverage. When you arrive you will meet with your therapist to formulate a treatment plan and determine what kind of therapy and addiction treatment services will be best for your long term recovery. We encourage close family participation throughout the entire process to provide additional support and comfort.
We promote a community atmosphere to avoid clients growing to feel institutionalized and our staff members provide 24 hour assistance allowing clients to obtain professional care at any time. At Rally Point you can expect to be accepted for who you are, to be loved unconditionally and to be held accountable for your choices. Our small size is perfect for building fellowship and peer support. It is impossible to hide or be lost in the shuffle with us. You will receive top-notch individualized treatment by qualified and caring professionals.
A typical day in our drug and alcohol rehabilitation program could include:
- Individual Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Family Counseling
- Substance Abuse Education
- Lectures and Presentations
- Twelve Step Meetings
- Life Skills Training
- Employment or Educational Support
- Nutrition Education and Guidance
- Personal Time
- Recreational Activities
As well as the option to participate in holistic and alternative activities including: